VFD Responds to Back-to-Back Fires

Posted on February 13th, 2018

Vincennes Firefighters responded to a pair of firs Monday evening.

The first incident occurred when crews were called to the All-American Car Wash, located on North 7th Street. According to Fire Chief Sonny Pinkstaff, workers at the car wash alerted authorities after an electrical fire was noticed at the business. When crews arrived, they began to fight the fire, which originated in the main electrical distribution panel. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire using dry chemical extinguishers. Duke Energy was called to the scene to disconnect power from the pole that feeds the building. The area near the business was without power for a shirt time. A total of $10,000 was done to the car wash.

From the scene of the first fire, crews were called to the 2000 block of Forbes Road just before 5:00 p.m. A nearby Vincennes Police officer was first on scene and noticed the residents of the home evacuating, with smoke visibily coming from the home.

When firefighters arrived, they found the kitchen of the home on fire. Entering through the garage, crews were able to begin fighting the fire. According to Pinkstaff, a person living in the home said they had boiled a pan of water earlier in the evening and failed to turn off the burn before leaving the home to walk their dogs.

According to the Vincennes Fire Department, the fire was unintentional and much of the damage done by the fire remained the kitchen. The rest of the house was damaged by smoke.

Thankfully, no one was injured in the fire. Firefighters were on scene for about 2 1/2 hours battling the blaze. The house is estimated to have suffered $30,000 worth of damage.

Assisting VFD at the scene were Knox County EMS, Central Dispatch and the Vincennes Animal Shelter.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 13th, 2018 at 8:35 am and is filed under News.

Copyright 2018 WVUT Vincennes University. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten, or redistributed.

Comments are closed.