One Injured, One Arrested in Camper Fire

Posted on January 8th, 2018

A weekend fire ended with one person in the hospital and another in police custody.

Sullivan County Sheriff Clark Cottom says emergency personnel responded to a camper trailer on fire on County Road 100 North just after 12:00 p.m. Sunday. Occupants of the trailer told investigators that they woke up to heavy smoke and flames inside the camper. According to Cottom, the female, 29-year-old Cara Vancil, was able to escape through the front door of the camper, while the male inside, 41-year-old Justin Norris, was forced to break a window to escape.

At this time, the fire is believed to be caused by space heaters being used to heat the home overloading an extension cord. Vancil was taken to Greene County Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and abrasions.

During the investigation, it was discovered that Norris was wanted on a Clay County warrant for Petition to Revoke Bond on a prior charge of Dealing Methamphetamine. He was taken into custody and placed in the Sullivan County Jail, awaiting transfer to Clay County.

As a reminder, officials discourage the use of space heaters as a primary source of heat, as they draw heavy amperage and often overload electrical cords and circuits.

This entry was posted on Monday, January 8th, 2018 at 9:02 am and is filed under News.

Copyright 2018 WVUT Vincennes University. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten, or redistributed.

Comments are closed.